Below are a series of questions. However, if you still have a question, you can give us a call or email and we will try and assist where possible


Where’s my order?

  1. Please check the estimated lead time on the items you have purchased. You can usually find this on the website product page or on your order confirmation. If your order is still within this time frame it should be delivered soon, however for peace of mind, we can check delivery dates for you, just give us a call.
  2. Contact us

If your estimated delivery date has passed, please get in touch with our sales team and we will be happy to assist with your enquiry.

What are my delivery options?

We offer either courier delivery or collection (if you would like to collect, please contact us first to make sure the product you are wishing to collect is available). Please Note - Collection is unfortunately not available from our Minehead Offices.

For larger items our standard delivery is ‘customer offloading’, however if a tail lift or HIAB delivery is required or there is an issue with access, please give us a ring to find out options available and any costs if applicable.

Delivery terms?

Please ensure that the product you are ordering from Tanks Direct is the correct size and suitable for the purpose. Special order, bespoke, or non-stock tanks are not returnable. If you order a tank and find that it is too big, too small, or not suitable for your requirements it can be expensive to return it.
Our cancellation & returns policy explains this in more detail (see Terms & Conditions).

Delivery Charges
Our shipping costs cover most of the UK - however, parts of England, Scottish Highlands and Islands including areas north of the Glasgow / Edinburgh border, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Anglesey, Western Isles, Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands, Isles of Scilly, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland may cost more.

Please call before ordering if the delivery postcode is listed below. There may be additional shipping costs.

AB, BT, CA, CT, DD, DG, EH, FK,G, GY, IM, IV, JE, KA, KW, KY, LD, LL, ML, PA, PH, PO 30-41 (Isle of Wight), SA, SY, TD, TN, TR, ZE

Southern Ireland

Looking to avoid Shipping Charges?

All our tanks are available for collection "ex works", our suppliers are based all over the UK - please call if you wish to collect.

Overseas Orders.
International orders are welcome.
Payment is by IBAN / Swift / Bic, Moneygram and letters of credit.
We regret that credit cards are not accepted for international orders.
A purchase order is required, we will then create a pro-forma invoice, tanks are ordered on clearance of funds.

If you require any additional export documentation (i.e Certificate of Origin,  commercial invoices certified by the Chamber of Commerce) you must notify us before completion of your order as we will have to invoice cost and admin charges to the order.

Please call if you have any questions. Tel: +44 (0)1643 703358

More Information

Can I collect?

Collection is available for most items, however, not all products are available in one location. Please contact us to find out where you can collect before placing your order.

Do you offer a weekend delivery?

Sorry, we only deliver on weekdays.

What does customer offloading involve?

For our larger tanks, we offer ‘Customer offloading’ delivery. This entails the customer to acquire the right manpower and/or machinery to help unload the tank/s from the delivery vehicle.

If you require assistance with offloading, we may be able to offer a tail lift (lowers the tank to the ground) or HIAB (lorry with a mounted crane to winch the tank off the delivery vehicle). Please contact us if this is required for delivery.

Unless a hi-ab delivery has been booked at additional cost, it is the customer's responsibility to offload with suitable equipment on the day of delivery and a failed delivery may result in additional charges.

We recommend installers and/or plant hire & materials for install such as excavators, aggregates etc are not booked until you are in receipt of the goods. Tanks Direct cannot be held responsible for costs incurred due to unforeseen delays, please see our terms for more details.

If you have any questions regarding your delivery please contact the Sales Team on 01643 703358.

Can I change my delivery address?

This may be possible depending on how far your order has been processed. Please contact us as soon as you can so we can try and avoid any costs already incurred being passed onto you.

Do I need to be in when my order arrives?

It’s always best if you can be there to check the goods before signing for them and to avoid any re-delivery charges that may apply.

I have missed my delivery, what do I do now?

For smaller orders delivered by Royal Mail or other courier services, the delivery driver will leave a card at the address with details on how to proceed with collecting from their nearest depot or arranging the re-delivery.

For larger items which are delivered by a pallet service, this may incur an additional delivery charge to re-arrange the service. Please contact our sales team if you need more information on re-arranging a delivery.

Can my delivery be left in a safe place?

When placing your order, please write in the customer comments where you would like the delivery to be left, e.g. in the porch, behind the gate etc. If you are unable to take delivery, please give the customer sales team a ring, and they will be happy to try and rearrange the delivery to a date that suits. Failure to let us know if no one is in to take delivery, may lead to additional costs for a missed delivery. Any goods left in safe place are left at the customer's own risk. 

What is the cut off for next day delivery, if this is possible?

Some products are available on a next day service, cut off times vary. Please contact us for more details.

Lead times, what are they and are they accurate?

Each product has their own specific lead time, which is the time it takes from placing your order until it is delivered to your chosen address. This includes manufacturing and processing times. The lead times can be found on the product page.

We try to update the lead times weekly, however if the lead times changes and you have placed an order, we will contact you as soon as we can.

If you require a product sooner than the lead time advertised, please give the sales team a ring to see if we can accommodate this for you.


Can I place bulk orders?

To place an order for a large or bulk quantity, please contact us with the product details, quantities, and required delivery address and we would be happy to quote for you.

Do you provide quotations based on requirements sent?

We can provide quotations for any of our products or bespoke products. Please provide us with the following so we can quote correctly –

Billing and shipping address, if different

Contact name and number

Purchase order, if applicable.

We aim to respond within 24 hours, during working hours, for the request sent, however bespoke items can take up to 48 hours.

Is there a minimum quantity?

There is no minimum quantity requirement for the majority of our products. However, if any of our products require a minimum quantity, it will be clearly stated on product page before purchasing.

Can I place an order over the phone?

Our customer sales team would be happy to place an order over the phone for you, along with answering any question you may have regarding our products.

Can you please help, I am having trouble placing an order online?

If you are experiencing trouble with placing an order on our website, please contact with our sales team, who will be happy to assist with your requests.

Can I change my delivery address?

This may be possible depending on how far your order has been processed. Please contact us as soon as you can so we can try and avoid any costs already incurred being passed onto you.

What do I do if I receive a faulty/ damaged item in my order?

If you receive a faulty item or an item damaged on delivery, please take photos of the issue and email us at [email protected]. One of the team will respond as soon as possible.

I’m missing an item from my order, what do I do?

You may receive more than one delivery for different items in your order. To check this please contact our sales team.


How do I pay for an Invoice I was sent?

Payment can be made via bank transfer using the details shown on your invoice, by cheque, or by credit/debit card online here

We are also happy to take card payments over the phone, call our friendly sales team on 01643 703358.

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept all major credit and debit cards, plus BACS payment or cheque.

How can I modify my order?

Your order will start to be processed as soon as it is received, if you wish to add items or change any part of your order, please contact us as soon as possible and we will try our best to accommodate this for you.

Do you price match?

We will always aim to match or even offer a better price against any genuine quote. See here for terms and conditions and how to get a ‘Price Match’ (link to price match page similar to  https://www.fueltankshop.co.uk/information/15-price-match ?? ) We can’t guarantee we can beat all prices; we will however do our very best to try.

Can you send me a copy of my invoice?

Please contact us via email [email protected] or by phone 01643 703358 and we will be able to send a copy of your invoice for you.


How do I return my order?

If you wish to return goods, please complete the form by following the link on this page to provide further information.

Once your request is approved, a valid Returns Authorisation Number (RAN) will be issued to initiate the returns process along with information on how & where to return your order along with any costs involved.

Please DO NOT return any goods without this authorisation. Goods cannot be accepted without this.

Returns are not accepted at our Minehead Office, please wait until we contact you before returning any goods. 

Returns Form

Can I exchange?

Unfortunately, we cannot exchange goods once your order has been delivered. The returns process above should be followed and a new order for the required goods should be placed.

When will I get a refund?

Your refund will be processed as soon as we receive confirmation that your goods have been successfully delivered back to the correct warehouse in re-saleable condition.

Has my order been received back?

If you would like to check if your returned goods have been received back, please contact us and we can advise further.

Do you charge restocking fees?

Restocking and administration fees of up to 30% + VAT of the total order value may be chargeable to our business customers only.

Account Customers

Trouble signing into my account

If you receive a message that says your email address/password isn't recognised, there's a few things worth checking:

  • Make sure you are using the same email address and password you registered with.
  • If you can't remember your password, click on the 'forgotten password' link on the sign in page. You'll be prompted to enter your email address and we'll send you an email with a link that will allow you to create a new password for your account.

If after this you still can't sign in, contact our Customer service department giving as much detail as you can about the issue, including screen shots of any error message you get and what you've done so far to try to resolve it.

My prices are not showing?

Sometimes we will not be able to give a price on site due to a number of reasons including it being a custom product.  If no price is shown, please contact our customer service department via email or phone and they will be able to get a price from our suppliers for you as quickly as possible

How do I sign up to be an account customer?

To sign up to be an account customer please navigate to Trade customers at the top of the home page.  This will then present you with a trade registration form to complete.

How do I amend my account details?

To sign in use the Login link at the top of the page then sign in with your account credentials.  This will then bring you to your account and navigate to ‘My details’ once here you will be able to edit your details then press update.

Statement queries

If you have any queries regarding your statements, please contact our customer service department via email or telephone and they will be happy to assist you.


What is a GRP tank?

Glass Reinforced Plastic tanks are made from high quality GRP material manufactured to BS EN 13280:2001, are suitable for all cold water applications, insulated tanks are also suitable for external applications, and are fully WRAS approved.

Benefits of GRP over steel or plastic

Most GRP tanks are supplied fully pre-insulated with PU foam fully encapsulated within the GRP laminate, GRP tanks come in a wide range of standard sizes and can also be supplied bespoke to suit your specific size and configuration requirements.

Whats the difference between an AB or AG air gap tank?

An AG type airgap provides mains water protection from fluid category 1-4 with standard lid arrangement for an inlet float valve fitted in the body of the tank, and an AB type air gap, also known as category 5, is when a raised float valve housing is fitted with a spill over weir in addition to the overflow in the body of the tank.

When is a 1 piece, 2 piece or sectional tank used?

1 & 2 piece tanks are available from 90 to 12,000 litres, sectional tanks can be supplied from 125 to 2,000,000 litres. Usually where access permits a 1 piece can be used without any assembly needed, if access is restricted a 2 piece tank can be installed and the top and bottom halved bolted together on site. Sectional tanks are for where access restrictions or other conditions deny the installation of one and two piece tanks. They comprise of individual bolt-up panels which are assembled on site.


Sizing a float valve for my GRP tank, which one would I need?

A float valve will usually be sized to suit your incoming mains water supply, so if you have a 25 mm incoming mains you will need a 1” float valve. If we supply the float valve with your tank we will size and supply the overflow to suit this.


What is a WRAS tank and is it compulsary?

The Water Regulation Advisory Scheme sets legal requirements for the design, installation, operation and maintenance of plumbing systems, water fittings and water-using appliances. These Regulations and Bye laws apply in all types of premises supplied, or to be supplied with water by a water company. All of our insulated GRP tanks are fully WRAS approved, so can be connected to a mains cold water supply. These regulations do not apply where a property uses a private water supply and does not have a supply of water from a water company.


There are lots of optional extras on the GRP tanks, what are they and are they required?

Our GRP tanks are usually supplied without any connections, as many customers supply and fit their own. However we can supply a comprehensive range of items including inlet float valves, outlet connections and other fittings to suit your individual application. Please contact us to discuss or request a quote for your requirements.

Do you supply pumps with the GRP tanks?

If you require a booster pump, you must fit a break tank to the incoming mains water supply to connect to the pump set. Our GRP tanks are ideal for break tanks. We can supply a wide range of booster sets where a break tank is needed.

More Information

Do you offer a clean & disinfection of tanks which have been previously been purchased?

Yes, we can supply a quote for cleaning existing tanks. We can also arrange to clean and disinfect newly installed tanks as part of the supply and assembly service on all new 1, 2 & sectional tanks.


On my Water Pump it mentions about head height. What is this and how do I work out what I require?

Head is the height in which the pump is lifting the waste, measured from cover level of the pump station, to the cover level of the discharge manhole. With this measurement we can ensure we supply a pump powerful enough to lift the waste up that high. We will need to know this and also the distance that it is pumping to make sure the pump quoted is suitable.

Automatic Pump - what does this mean?

An automatic pump is a pump that will automatically turn itself on and off as the liquid level rises and falls. These pumps are usually longer lasting as they do not burn out but switch off automatically if there is no liquid to pump therefore, they do not run dry.

Why choose a macerator pump over a vortex pump?

If you have an application where the risk of blockages that could enter the drain run is higher than usual, for example if the property is rented, tenants could unwillingly block the pump, this is also a problem if it is an apartment block as you wouldn’t be able to source who was responsible for blocking It, but everyone would need to pay their share to fix it.

Also, macerator pumps, because of how they cut through the waste, they can pump a much higher head (vertical distance), so when compared to vortex pumps, if you have anything over 10m, you will need to be selecting macerator pumps. Always check the pump flow curves for your application or you can call to speak to one of our technical team if you want to be sure the pumps will do the task at hand.

When to choose a 65mm or 80mm vortex pump over a 50mm vortex pump

If you are concerned about the risk of blockages but also need a flow rate which macerator pumps can’t provide, or even if it’s purely just a faster flow rate you need, a larger 65mm or 80mm pump will be able to achieve this, calculating a specific flow rate to your application is difficult and would be best speaking to a member of our technical team to help specify the right pumps for your station.

Do waste pumps need servicing and if so, how often should this be done?

Waste pumps and your wastewater system in general need regular servicing to keep it in working order. A general desludging of your system and a check of the components such as the sewage pump will keep the sewage treatment system in good working order for longer.

Generally, a good rule of thumb for servicing your sewage pump would be every 1 to 2 years or every time you empty your septic tank. It is a good idea to get it checked regularly to avoid a costly replacement further down the line.

Why variable speed pumps?

When you consider all the pumping that occurs globally, whether in large industrial plants or in domestic heating systems, this accounts for almost 20% of the world's energy consumption. Because of this there is a huge opportunity in the pumping industry to make a significant contribution to using our energy resources efficiently. In pumping applications where the duty required is not constant, it is highly likely that installing a variable speed pump will result in significant energy savings - likely to be between 30% and 50% in many applications.

Other benefits of variable speed pumps include:

1. Improved reliability

Because variable speed pumps run at speeds below their maximum, there is a reduction in wear, particularly in mechanical seals.

2. Improved control

Variable speed pump controller can monitor small variations in pressure and make adjustments accordingly. This also means there is less liklihood of sudden changes in flow or pressure.

More Information

When should variable speed pumps be used?

Variable speed pumps should be used in any installation where the pump duty is not constant. If a pump duty is constant a fixed speed pump may be the most cost-effective option.  However, even in fixed duty applications there may be an advantage to running a pump below its maximum speed. A motor running at 80% of its maximum speed uses 48% less energy.

More Information

Are there any disadvantages to using variable speed pumps?

1. Vibrations

Although running pumps below their maximum speed will tend to reduce overall system noise, altering the speed of a pump may result in structural resonances that would not occur at the pump's maximum speed. This may cause vibration which can be harmful to equipment and cause an increase in noise at certain frequencies. There are a number of products that help to alleviate these potential issues.

2. Higher initial cost

Because of the added complexity of an inverter drive, variable speed pumps and systems which include variable speed pumps will cost more initially than a fixed speed equivalent. However, this additional cost is invariably outweighed by the long-term energy cost saving.


More Information

Horizontal vs Vertical pumps

This depends on your existing pump and the type of installation you have or are planning on. The vertical Hippo 50 has a vertical port discharges via a 2” female port and the horizontal Hippo 50 discharges via a horizontal 2” female port but is also DN50 flanged

More Information

What is a Vortex Impeller Sewage Pump?

Vortex impeller sewage pumps use centrifugal action. In this sewage pump. the impeller rotates and causes a tornado-like action that pulls the waste into the pump and then sends it into the discharge pipe with little or no contact with the impeller which helps the pump to withstand any stringy material it may encounter. This means there is a much lower chance of clogging the impeller. 

To see our range of sewage pumps click - https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/waste-water-tanks/waste-water-pumps/sewage-pumps/c1039

What is a Grinder Pump?

A grinder pump takes the wastewater from the holding tank, grinding any waste into a fine slurry and then pumps it into a sewage treatment plant. They can pump over much longer distances but at a slower rate because they are high pressure and low volume pumps.

To see our grinder pumps click - https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/semisom-125-gr-automatic-submersible-grinder-pump/p5628

What is a submersible pump?

 A submersible pump means that the pump needs to be submerged or covered in liquid specifically the type specified on the pump such as water, wastewater, sewage etc.

More Information

Do I need a macerator?

Macerator pumps are used only for heads higher than 10m and with a low flow rate when you have a discharge rate restriction imposed by the water authority who own the sewer you discharging into.

Is there an option to have an enclosure for my pump set?

If a booster or compact set is being housed externally, you will need an enclosure to protect the inverter from the elements so anything electronic needs to be protected by an enclosure of some sort, never leave the booster set to face the elements

More Information

How much space do I require around my pump?

You require at least 500mm above the break tank so you can service it and inspect it when required. Also, a booster just needs to be installed in a maintainable space so that the inverters can be reviewed if needed via clear walkways and facing into the room, not tucked away down the side of a plant room.


I am looking for a bund for my tank, will it cover the amount of liquid in my tank?

A bund is a container which can hold liquids that prevent leaks and spillage from tanks and pipes.

The regulations state that a bund must hold 110% of the amount of liquid in your tank. If you choose to have an external bund rather than a bunded tank, the important thing is to size it correctly for the tank contained in the bund to hold 110% liquid and then keep it covered so that rainwater does not fill the bund.

When multiple tanks share a bund, the capacity is based on the largest tank.

I have a boat and need a tank to fit in a certain space, do you do any flexible tanks?

We offer a wide range of tanks suitable for boats. Whether its for drinking water, waste water or where space is an issue, flexible water tanks. Our boat storage tanks and containers, are made from a high quality, durable polyethylene and are an ideal storage solution for use on boats. Available in a variety of shapes and capacities, ranging from 40 litres to 300 litre.

Are any of your tanks suitable for keeping Fish in?

We offer a small range of tanks which are suitable for keeping fish in, however some of our fish tanks are designed as fish holding tanks for short periods of time. 

If you require more guidance on which tanks might be suitable, please give our Sales team a ring.

I need specific information regarding one of your products, are you able to send this to me?

We would be happy to send you the relevant information regarding the product you are interested. Please send us an email or call us with the information you require and we will endeavour to do our best to answer your questions or contact the manufacturer for the information.

Do your products come with a warranty?

All our products come with a manufacturers warranty. To see how long the warranty is for a certain product, please go to the product data sheet or contact us for more information.

If a warranty claim is required, please let us know the order number, images and descriptions of the fault, where we would be happy to forward this onto the manufacturer for you.

Am I able to view the products before I buy?

As we are an online business, we do not have a store to be able to view the products. You can however view most items before you buy, not all products are available in just one location so please contact us to find out where you can view.

Alternatively, you can download the product brochures for each product for more information or contact us if the information you require is not visible.

Water Tanks

Water Tanks

What’s a potable water tank?

Water tanks can be classified as ‘potable’ and ‘non potable’. If you are storing clean water for human consumption, whether it be for drinking, prepping food or cleaning dishes etc, then a potable water tank is what you are after. All potable tanks must conform to the WRAS (Water Regulations Advisory Scheme) so that the liquid is safe for human consumption.

Non-potable tanks are for the safe storage of non-drinking water or for ‘not suitable’ for human consumption, in many different environments and applications. Non-potable tanks can be used in applications like rainwater harvesting, irrigation, agriculture & horticulture and commercial purposes where mains water is not available.

The difference in classification between the two comes from the materials used during the manufacturing process, specifically the type of plastic used to line the inside of the tank which comes into contact with the contained water. Non potable tanks are more porous, making it easier for the bacteria to grow and can sometimes let off gases which can contaminate the water. The WRAS approved material lines the inside of the tank, making the tank fit for human consumption, either ingested or used on the skin.

What materials are the plastic tanks manufactured from?

Plastic water tanks can be made of lots of different materials, however the majority of tanks we offer are made from either a medium density polyethylene (MDPE) or a high density polyethylene.

What outlet do I require?

The majority of our water tanks come with an outlet as standard. We can offer a range of water tanks where the tanks can either ‘Drilled’ or ‘Undrilled’. ‘Drilled’ meaning allowing water to escape from the tank via the outlet, whereas ‘Undrilled’ is when the outlet will remain sealed, preventing liquid from coming out and ensuring the contents of the tank is only touching plastic.

If the position of the outlet is required in an alternative position to the standard one offered or extra to the one positioned, we can offer a plastic Fusion socket. This can be welded anywhere on the tank using a drawing supplied by us, positions marked out by you, then fitted by the manufacturer.   

Plain tanks (with no outlets) can also be offered.

If you require a plastic fusion socket or a plain tank, then please contact our Customer Service Team, who will be happy to help with your requirements.

Tap or hose tail kits, what’s the difference and when would I need one?

We offer a range of tap kits, each displaying the size of the hosetail and the outlet size the kit will suit. Tap Kit 5 (TPK5) is the best solution if you require a garden hose to be fitted. Our range of Hosetail kits allows you to attach a hose or pipe to the tank, leak-free. They are designed for continuous flow and come in varying sizes depending on the outlet.

All our tap kits come with a Jubilee clip and PDFE tape for that secure fit.

What’s a standard hose pipe size?

UK hose pipe diameters range from ½” to ¾” inch diameters. The majority of standard size garden hoses are 3/4” BSP, however we do offer accessories for the ½” hose, if required.

Baffled Water tanks, what are they and when are they recommended?

Baffled water tanks are tanks with an intergral wall system, which is primarily designed to strengthen and support the structure of the tank, when the tank is full of water.

Due to the structure of the baffles they can also be used for transporting water. The Baffles distrupt the movement of water, from surging from one side to the other. However, if you are transporting water, water tanks can be extremely hazardous when transporting large volumes of water. Please make sure the water tanks are installed and secured correctly, by a suitable qualified person before transportation. Baffled water tanks are an ideal solutions for car valeters, window cleaners or anyone who has to transport liquids using plastic water storage tanks and containers.

More Information

Bladder/ Flexible Tanks

What ground preparation is needed for a Bladder Tank?

A flat well-drained location is the ideal choice of a site that should be free from rocks, stones, tree stumps or any other sharp objects that may chafe or puncture the tank. On rough or stony ground sharp objects should be removed and ideally a layer of sand laid to provide a base. Maximum care must be taken to avoid placing tanks on ground having a cross slope as the tank is liable to “roll away” when being filled.

Do I need a ground sheet?

Not always, if the ground is free from debris and sharps then you can use these tanks without a ground sheet however, we do recommend using a ground sheet to prolong the life of the bladder tank

How do I fill the bladder tank?

This can be done from the water mains or through a pump with the relevant connector fitted to attach to the bladder tank. This must start slowly (up to max 490 litres per minute) then increased to a maximum of 1,000 litres per minute dependent on tank capacity

How do I empty the bladder tank?

This can be done by gravity or pumped, the tank may have to be lifted slightly to empty any remaining liquid

What is the best way to maintain my bladder water tank?

Our bladder tanks are quite easy to maintain. The surface should kept be clean of debris and washed down occasionally. The inside can be cleaned through a small hatch using a hose pipe then drained away

Can the bladder tanks be repaired?

Small cuts and abrasions can be repaired using our repair kit. Larger cuts/splits may have to be repaired at our factory (for a fee)

What liquids cannot be stored in a bladder tank?

PVC bladder tanks can store most liquids except fuels and certain acids, this requires a special material so please inquire. We can manufacture a bladder tank to store pretty much any liquid but please check with us regarding your specific application


How do I safely fill an IBC?

To safely fill an IBC first make sure that the pallet, cage and bottle and valve are suitable for use with the intended product. Ensure that the valve is securely tighten to the inner bottle and that the valve is closed and that the drip cap is secured and tightened. Check that the inside of the bottle is clean. When hot  filling product  do not  exceed 65°C. When bottom  filling make sure that  the vents are functioning correctly or open the top cap.  Do not over fill the IBC.  After filling, if the product has a UN number, ensure that the lid seal is correctly  positioned and tighten the screw cap to 70-80 Newton/Meters.

How do I transport an IBC safely?

Do not lift IBCs from the top frame. Ensure that the fork truck tines are fully inserted under the IBC before lifting. Ensure that the vehicle floor is in good condition and free of all nails etc. that could puncture the IBC. Always transport IBCs with the correct labelling attached to the ID Plate.

Always secure IBCs to prevent possible movement during transit.


IBC adaptors, which one do I require?

If you would like to attach a garden hose to your IBC- HFUD/2063 would be the adaptor required. Warm the hose to help in pushing the hose onto the adaptors barb, if possible raise the IBC (on wooden pallets) to assist with gravity flow

However if a 2 inch male BSP is required then the  016136 + 1069497 would be recommended. For those who wish to attach other items to the IBC valve, this adaptor turns the valve’s buttress thread into a female 2 inch BSP fitting more common here in the UK

If a 1 inch Male BSP is what you are after then the  31PB24 is the right choice, however if you require a 1” female BSP then 31PN15C is he right adaptor.

If you wish to fit a 1” Male or 1” Female BSP (as mentioned above) - 31PB24 or 31PN15C to an IBC then a 016136 & 1069497 is required.

More Information

Can the IBC's (intermediate bulk containers) be stacked?

Yes, depending on the pallet type, our IBCs can be stacked as follows whether empty or full:

MX IBCs - with metal or plastic pallets - Up to 4 High (with a maximum SG of 1.6)

SX IBCs - with metal pallets - Up to 4 High (with a maximum SG of 1.6)

LX IBCs - with wooden or plastic pallets - Up to 3 High (with a maximum SG of 1.4)

More Information

Bespoke Tanks

Whats a fusion socket?

If the position of the outlet is required in an alternative position to the standard one offered or extra to the one positioned, we can offer a plastic Fusion socket. This is a plastic outlet which can be welded anywhere on the tank using a drawing supplied by us, positions marked out by you, then fitted by the manufacturer.   

Plain tanks (with no outlets) can also be offered.

If you require a plastic fusion socket or a plain tank, then please contact our Customer Service Team, who will be happy to help with your requirements.


Booster Pumps

What is water pressure and what causes it?

Water pressure is the force water that is pushed through water pipes into premises. This pressure determines how quickly water flows from your taps, shower heads and appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.

If the water pressure in your household pipes are low, then water will flow slowly out of your taps or shower, taking it longer to fill up a sink, bath or shower. This is especially true for an upstairs bathroom (after all, the water may need to travel upwards against gravity to get to the source)

Water pressure is measured in bar or psi (pounds per square inch). One bar of water pressure is needed to raise water 10 metres high, so the higher the water must travel, the lower the water pressure will be.

Gravity creates pressure naturally, so when your water comes to you, it is already pressurized. In some cases, booster stations help to maintain the pressure throughout the water lines. If your water comes from a private well, then your water is pressurized through a tank that maintains a range of pressure

What is the difference between water flow and water pressure?

There are differences between water pressure and water flow. Water flow is the volume of water delivered and is measured in litres per minute. Water pressure is the force or speed the water is delivered. Both are affected by the size and condition of the pipe work the water is flowing through.

I have poor water pressure in my house, what do I do?

Due to regulation, you cannot pump directly onto a mains water line for the whole property, without storing water and creating an overflow. To achieve this we supply the boosters systems with break tanks, as they are commonly known, to compliantly store the water to act as a reservoir and which the pump draws from.

Compact Units

Why do i have low or no water pressure?

If you use lots of appliances at the same time you water pressure will reduce, such as dishwashers and washing machines. If you have an older property, you may find your water pipe is smaller than those used in modern houses. Smaller pipes supply less water and can reduce pressure and flow.

When water pressure in your house is low, it is most likely the water pressure coming into your house is lower than the property requires. However, if you notice that the low pressure is only to just one or a few appliances then it could be an issue with that fixture, or a pipe that runs into your property.

The amount of water pressure in your home may vary depending on the time of the day and the ground level of your property. Check that the water meter valve and the main shut off valve are fully opened.

However, while these factors play a part, your water authority is required to supply a minimum of 0.7 bar of pressure. If the mains pressure into your property is consistently low, you may need to fit a booster pump to your plumbing system.

To see our full range of booster pump sets, please click - Booster Pump Sets

Can I boost mains water pressure?

It is possible to boost mains water pressure. To do this a booster pump can be fitted to the mains cold water supply. In compliance with water fitting regulations, this is up to 12 litres per minute. Generally, a mains booster pump can improve the performance of all the water appliances and fixtures in your home.

What's meant by a 'Booster Pump Set'?

There are two reasons why water may need to be boosted: (1) to give a better flow and pressure at the draw-off point in a domestic situation, or (2) as a method of raising the water supply in high-rise buildings above the height that the mains will supply.

A booster pump set, helps to get to optimum pressure within the current system, so you should get constant water pressure whether you are downstairs in the kitchen or up on the 3rd floor having a shower.

‘Packaged’ pumping sets or Booster Sets are installed consisting of dual pumps (unless ingle pump is selected, then this would only be one pump) to overcome the problem of failure of (or the need to renew) one of the pumps. The second pump also assists at times of high demand on the system, cutting in as necessary. To prevent pump seizure and stagnation of water, the pumps should be designed to work alternately. Two types of system will be found: those using pressure-sensing devices and those using float switches.

What size cold water break tank do i need to help boost water pressure?

Break tanks are used to help boost pressure within a water system, where the current water pressure is not strong enough to supply the requirements of the building. Typically, break tanks are fitted with an air gap between the inlet and maximum water level to prevent backflow into the mains water supply.

To determine the size of the break tank required, there are a few things to consider.

Occupancy of the building

This is a big factor, as you need to understand how much water is required within the property. For example a hotel requires more water storage per bed space than a hostel.

Below are some examples of recommended minimum storage levels for each type of premises.

Hotel - 200 Litres per bed space

Office without Canteen - 40 Litres per employee

Office with Canteen - 45 Litres per employee

Restaurant - 7 litres per meal

Primary School - 15 litres per pupil

Secondary School - 20 Litres per pupil

Nursing Home - 120 Litres per bed space

(Source: BS EN 806 Part 2)

Please consider when using this calculation, the peak occupancy of the building. 

When sizing for a domestic building, a rough guide of 90 litres per bed space should be sufficient, however high-end properties may require additional storage. 


Another consideration would be the expected peak flow of the premises. This is calculated when sizing a booster set. In determining the peak flow rate, we must consider how much water storage must be provided to facilitate this flow rate.

Tanks Direct recommend that a minimum of 15 minutes' storage, according to the peak flow rate of the booster set, should be provided in a booster set break tank within a commercial installation. For example, a booster set with a peak design flow rate of 1.1 litres/second, or 66 litres/minute, requires a break tank with a capacity of at least 990 litres. 

Other factors such as the tank inlet flow rate and the usage patterns of the building should also be taken into account - buildings with a poor rate of mains water supply will require greater storage. This will also be influenced by the siting of the break tank - a tank on the ground floor of a building will fill at a higher rate than a tank on an upper floor or in the roof space. Siting a tank in the roof space of a building is likely to necessitate a larger storage volume.




What size pump and tank do I need?

For this, we would require a breakdown of the cold water outlet for the whole property, i.e. 2 W/C’s, 4 Wash hand basins and a shower. Once we have calculated the building water demand, we can then specify the right storage tank, this is an industry standard of a capacity to cope with a 10-minute run time at full demand, most 3-4 bedroom properties for example work out at around 250L.

For most single property installation, pressure isn’t a huge concern, as low head booster systems that run up to 3 bar will produce more than sufficient pressure for a 2-story property.

Do I need a single or twin pump system?

This depends on a couple of factors, the demand of the building if you want it sharing across 2 pumps, but also the importance of the water supply, for example, manufacturing facilities who need wash down cannot afford the downtime of a single pump etc. With a twin pump system, you can share the duty across 2 pumps, which both pumps would run at 50% of total duty, or on duty standby, where each pump would be capable of 100% of total duty.

I have limited space to install the system in my property, what do I do?

This is a common issue, which is why we offer a compact solution as the Flyvar Booster system which is a compact system where the pump(s) are in the tank to save space, these can also be installed externally with the addition of an inverter housing cover, to protect it from the elements.

I’m not sure what I need, or if it can fit, can somebody come and measure it up?

This is a service we can carry out, however with the use of modern technically, we only require the standard set of information, and then just basic measurements of the space it is going into, widths of doors and room space etc, all of this we can now do with the use of online video calls and pictures.

The systems are described as plug and play, do I still need it commissioning?

Commissioning would be recommended. These are specialist systems and without a commissioning visit, there is no peace of mind with the end user that the warranty as not been affected due to incorrect installation. Incorrect operation is  easily done if the system is not correctly commissioning, so this is a service we offer ourselves, so there is a clear line of liability if something was to go wrong with the set, this protects everyone.

Sewage and Waste

Septic tanks

Septic tanks vs cesspools, which is best?

If you do not have sufficient area required to discharge the run out from a septic tank, you would need a cesspool which requires emptying on a 40 day cycle. Please contact us for help if required.

Due to the new regulations, do I need to upgrade to a Sewage Treatment System?

You would only need to upgrade your septic tank if the run off discharges to a water course.

Standard soak aways are still legal.

My old tank needs some parts replacing do you offer this?

Yes we offer the full range of Klargester replacement parts, please see our waste water parts section for more: /parts-accessories/waste-water-accessories/c946

How to Discharge Waste from Septic Tanks

There are 3 options available:

(1) Connect to a main sewer if possible
(2) install a drainage field or
(3) install a sewage treatment plant which treats the wastewater, producing a clear overflow that is environmentally friendly and suitable for discharging.

To see our full range of sewage treatment plants click - https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/waste-water-tanks/sewage-treatment-system/c1005

Why should I look after my septic tank system?

If your septic tank system is not in good working order it can be a serious risk to both health and the environment. You also have a legal responsibility to maintain your septic tank system. In looking after your septic tank system, it will have to be emptied less frequently, saving you money. A septic tank system can also be costly to replace if it fails.

What checks should I make on my septic tank system?

If your septic tank system is in good working order you should have the following:

  • Your household drainage should be quick to clear, and toilets should not be backing up
  • There should be no smell from your tank and the cover should be accessible and well fitting
  • The soak away should be dry not swampy, smelly or have prolific grass growth
  • A pale liquid with little or no smell should come from the discharge pipe. It should not be dark, smelly or contain solids
  • Makes sure to keep deep-rooted trees and plants at least 30 m away from your system. Keep the grass nearby short.

If any of the above is showing signs that your septic tank system is not in proper working order, you must get it repaired or replaced by a credited installer.

How often should I empty my septic tank?

Your tank should be emptied once a year so that you do not risk a build up of sludge which can lead to problems with your system. The company you use to empty your septic tank must be registered to do so.

Do I need to register my tank?

Different areas of Great Britain have different requirements: -

  • England – No charge
  • Northern Ireland – Yes, a charge applies
  • Scotland – Yes, a charge applies
  • Wales – Yes, no charge applies in most cases

Is the landlord responsible for emptying the septic tank?

If you own a property which you rent, or you are a tenant yourself, it can become a little less clear who has the responsibility to empty the septic tank. Maintenance and responsibility can be written into the tenancy agreement. If you are a landlord renting out a property with a septic tank you may need to put measures in place if you want the tenant to take responsibility for the septic tank. You may need an inspection or service after the end of any tenancy period. As a tenant, if it is written into the tenancy agreement that you have responsibility for the septic tank, you might also want to insist upon an inspection to ensure you aren’t inheriting any issues you would then be liable to pay for is one way to do this. Checking the schedule of maintenance and the obligations is another before any serious issues can occur. Following the guidelines of the septic tank is important too.

Do septic tanks need servicing?

You should have your septic tank system regularly maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available, ask your local maintenance company for advice. This will save costly repairs or replacement of the sewage system in the long term.

Does my septic tank need a permit?

If your tank does not comply with the “General Binding Rules” you must apply for a permit. To see the General Binding Rules go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-binding-rules-small-sewage-discharge-to-a-surface-water

How far should my septic tank be from the house?

Septic tanks should be at least 7 metres away from any dwelling. They should also be located within 30 metres of an access point so that the tank can be emptied.

What are some things that should not be put into the septic tank system?

  • Don’t flush anything other than bodily waste and toilet paper down the toilet
  • Don’t dispose of grease or oil down any drain – wipe out pans and pour fat into a container to be disposed of in the bin
  • Don’t put paints, solvents or chemicals down the drain
  • Don’t try to unblock pipes with caustic soda or drain cleaners. Try boiling water instead
  • Don’t connect rainwater pipes to your septic tank

What are your options when it comes to the Septic Tank Regulations

If your current system discharges directly into a water course, you will need to upgrade your system. To go through your options give us a call, and we can talk you through the various options.

Find out more about our sewage treatment systems here

Sewage Treatment Systems

Invert Depth, what is this?

It is the level of the soil pipe entering the septic tank or treatment system.

Gravity or IPS, what is the difference and when would I need them?

If the flow from your system can not release without help, i.e. required to be uplifted you would need a pump to help with this.

What size pump do I require for my Sewage Pumping Station?

The size of the pump required is down to the rise to main from the tank to the sewer, please call us for further help on this.

Grease Traps

When and where would you require a grease trap?

If you have high levels of fats and grease you should use a grease trap. This would be fitted before discharging to the sewer.

Sewage Pumping Stations

What size tank do I need?

Tanks are sized on the number of people using the system, you should allow 150 litres per person multiplied by the number of people using the property to calculate your 24hr storage capacity.

For commercial properties please contact us, and we can help size this for you. 

Do the tanks come with any pre-drilled inlet holes?

No the tanks are supplied without an inlet hole, this is usually drilled on site however we do supply the seal to make the hole water tight and should you require us to drill this for you at the factory, we can offer this also.

What type of sewage pump do I need?

Sewage pumps are available in a few different options including effluent pumps, grinder pumps or macerator pumps and submersible pumps. Effluent pumps remove the grey wastewater that stays in your septic tank after the solids have settled and are good for residential and small commercial applications.

Grinder pumps or macerator pumps collect wastewater from your household appliances and fixtures including toilets, washing machines, and bathtubs. Grinder or macerator pumps works by the pump grinding the waste into a fine slurry before pumping it to your septic tank when the water in the tank reaches a certain level from a holding tank to collect waste. Submersible pumps are used for residential, commercial, and agricultural applications.

If you are unsure of the type of sewage pump you need, we are more than willing to help. Please give us a call or send us an email.

What is a sewage pump station and how does it work?

A sewage pump station is a storage chamber incorporating a sewage pump which transfer either the foul or surface water to a local drain, manhole, sewer or soakaway pit.

A pumping station is used where a normal gravity system cannot be, either because there is insufficient fall over a distance, or the common collecting point is lower than the discharge point.

To see our full range of pumping stations click - https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/waste-water-tanks/sewage-pump-stations/c1011

A sewage pump is a submerged pump that moves sewage solids from one point to another, usually from a septic tank or sewage treatment plant to a percolation area or soakaway pit which is a distance away of uphill. Alternatively, it can be used to pump into a gravity flow sewer mains.


Which sewage pump is the most efficient?

Effluent pumps are generally more efficient than other sewage pumps as they are only pumping grey water. However, the effluent pumps may not be suitable for your use. The most efficient sewage would be the one that is most suited to your application and system size. If you are unsure of the type of sewage pump you need, we are more than willing to help. Please give us a call or send us an email.

How long should a sewage pump run?

Your sewage pump should not run constantly. Usually it should run from 10 to 15 seconds until the float switch detects the water level has dropped adequately. It will then cut off. If your sewage pump is running constantly it may need to be serviced, repaired or replaced. The average life expectancy of a sewage pump is about 10 years.

To see our full range of sewage pumps click - https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-tanks/pumps/sewage-and-waste-water-pumps/c1049

Which make of pumps are used in the Sewage Pumping Stations?

In our 2” vortex range we use Hippo 50 pumps for up to 6m head and Hippo 100 pumps for up to 10m head. In our 2” macerator range we use Semison 125GR pumps, in our 2½” vortex range we use Semison 650 pumps and lastly in our 3” vortex range we use hippo 80-200. Details of which can be found either on our website or a copy can be sent across please call for more information.

How do i know if my sewage pump is working correctly?

You may need to service or replace your sewage pump is you find the following: -

  • If the water at the discharge point is dirty or brown
  • The pump is not working at all or sounds like it’s struggling to pump
  • Your pump is constantly running and doesn’t switch off even though no one is using the facilities in the building
  • Sewage is backed up into the building
  • There is a smell of sewage
  • There is no fluid emptying from the holding tank
  • There is no power to the pump


If you do require a Service, please give a ring to arrange.

Will my sewage pump need maintenance?

Yes, it is cost effective to get your sewage pump regularly maintained to lengthen the life of the pump. Typically pump servicing will include: -

  • Cleaning out the sump chamber
  • Cleaning of pumps and float switch
  • Electrical test of pumps and all floats
  • Checking all cables for damages and general wear



What does Bunded mean, in regards to an Oil tank?

A Bunded Oil Tank is simply a tank within a tank. The fuel is stored in the inner tank and the outer tank acts as a failsafe so that in the event of a spillage, excess fuel will collect in the bund. They are a requirement at commercial, industrial and institutional premises.


Can I store and dispense Kerosene (c1/C2) from your Fuel Stations?

Unfortunately not. The pumps and ancillary equipment fitted to these tanks are suitable only for use with Diesel or Biodiesel, as per product specifications. Dispensing a non-approved fuel from this equipment could result in serious injury or death.

What liquids are Fuel Station, Fuel Points suitable for storing and dispensing?

Diesel (D) to British Standard BS2869. Additionally, all Fuel Stations, are also suitable for the storage and dispensing of BioDiesel with a bio-element of up to 8% concentration.